Thursday 3 March 2016

long overdue update!

So I guess the last time I blogged was when I had my MRI last year and so much has happened since then!

A few months before that last MRI I went to the MS clinic to talk about my DMT (disease modifying therapy). As I've written before, I was on Rebif, a medication that I would give myself by needle 3 times a week. After a couple years, though, I just couldn't do the needles, bruises, chills, hangover feelings and anxiety anymore. Halfway through my conversation I was in tears and the nurse practitioner decided that I should look into a new treatment.

Not even a week later and I started my adventures with Aubagio! A tiny little blue pill that I would take every morning when I woke up. Along with the pill came a few gastrointestinal side effects but nothing that I couldn't manage and that only lasted a couple of months.

Fast forward through a vacation to Arizona and another to Mexico. Not too long after that I bought, renovated and moved into my first place! Work was work, a few friends came and went, I continued dating the sweetest and most understanding man and I gained a sister-in-law! Definitely a good year for me!  2016 is looking pretty promising already with a couple of my best friends getting married and my MS seeming to stay under the radar.

A month and a half ago I had my follow up MRI and a week later my neurologist wanted to see me. Apparently when the neuro wants to see you a week after a test, it's usually not because they wanted to say "good job".  She broke the news that since my last MRI I've gained 5 new lesions. Now that might not sound like a lot but over the course of my Rebif days, I gained 0.  This means that the Aubagio has not been working for me :(

Since Aubagio stays in your system for quite a while I have to work on flushing it out quicker by drinking this horrible murky orange water drink 6 times a day for 11 days. And if that doesn't work...which of course it didn't...I have to do it again.

Once I finish this flush and I do another blood test to (hopefully) confirm that the Aubagio is no longer in my system and the neuro gives the green light, I get to start the next chapter in my DMT book...Tecfidera! Here's hoping that this is the one for me.


2 comments:

  1. i went straight from Rebif to Tecfidera (via a 2-week 'flushing out') - no problems or miraculous positive side-effects so far but has only been 4-5 months - i'm yet to have a follow-up MRI but it sure the beats the heck out of thrice-weekly injections! good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear tecfidera is treating you well so far! I'm hoping my body handles it okay and it does the job for both of us! I don't even know how I did the injections, I don't think I could do them again.

    ReplyDelete