Sunday 1 October 2023

Healthcare.

Whenever I tell American's that I'm from Canada they all comment on how amazing Canada is and they all want to live there. The free healthcare must be *wonderful*.

Well, I'm here to tell you the differences in healthcare I've noticed just with my MS team in Canada and in the US.

Canada 

When I had a relapse in 2016, the MS clinic saw me a week after I called them, did a super quick neurological assessment, assumed I was having a relapse and sent me home with the worlds largest amount of steroids. MRI to be done in 6 months (as it was already booked for that time). No true follow up to see how the treatment was going.

USA

When I started noticing things weren't getting better last week, the MS clinic saw me the day after I called them. The nurse practitioner sat and listened to all of my concerns, did a neurological assessment, UTI test, then sent me for blood work, an in depth urine culture and I booked an MRI for a week later. They want to make sure what's really happening before they even talk about steroids. I have even been messaging with the Nurse Practitioner to update her on how I've been feeling.

Now everyone is correct, the health care is free in Canada, and I had insurance so my medications were always almost fully covered.  I  also have insurance here in the US, but it doesn't cover quite as much right away. before the end of my plan year, I will likely have to pay $2400 worth of deductibles out of pocket (not sure how much an MRI is, but I might hit my deductible by the end of next week haha), and once that is paid then I should be fully covered.

Another thing to note, my neurologist from Canada moved to another province and they haven't replaced her yet so I actually didn't even have a neurologist anymore. So who would I have called last week?? I'd probably have to wait quite a few months until getting an appointment at a new office.

Basically what I've decided is time is money and I'd rather spend the money and be taken care of quicker. The fact that I was able to book an MRI for next week still baffles me (my mom had a referral for an MRI made in May and she just heard back that her MRI is booked for next year, in February, and in a city 45 min away from her).

I will try to update this as soon as I get my MRI results and discuss the next plan of attack.

(PS there are like 4 Target's within 7 minutes of my house, the US is just so much better.)

No comments:

Post a Comment